Fire Hydrant Testing Continues in August
August 3, 2023
Fire hydrant testing and maintenance program continues at several locations in the City during the month of August.
- Throughout the month of August, hydrants will be tested in the Arlington Ridge Community.
- Friday, August 4th - Testing will be conducted in commercial areas along US 27 between CR 48 and Commander Road.
- Sunday, August 6th - Hydrants will be checked in the business section of US 441 between Jenkins Honda and Pizza Hut in the Lifestyle Furniture Plaza.
- Tuesday, August 8th – Testing is scheduled for Sunny Meadow Court, Ashton Woods Lane, and Angel Fish Loop and Sunnyside Drive near its intersections with these three streets.
- Wednesday, August 9th - Hydrants scheduled in Leesburg of Leesburg off CR 48.
Some areas may experience low water pressure during testing. Sediment stirred up by the hydrant flushing may accumulate in water lines and can affect water clarity.
Citizens who experience any unusual problems with their water after the hydrants are tested, such as discolored water or excessive air, are encouraged to turn on a faucet outside of the house and let it run for five to ten minutes. This will normally clear the agitated water from the service line to the home. Please delay any laundry until both the hot and cold water lines of the washer have cleared all sediment and returned to normal.
A slight decline in water quality is common immediately after hydrant testing takes place. If water quality does not improve or further problems occur, contact the City of Leesburg Public Works Department at (352) 728-9835.
This program allows the City to identify the quantity of water available for firefighting purposes and serves to rid the water distribution system of accumulations of sediment. The testing and maintenance process includes capturing flow readings along with flushing of the fire hydrant and line.