Selection Process and Benefits
The Leesburg Police Department typically hires throughout the year based on the needs of the department. All positions are advertised in local newspapers although you may submit an application to the City of Leesburg at any time. The department holds testing as necessary to maintain a hiring pool.
Entry Level Selection Process
- All applicants must possess good moral character.
- All applicants must possess Florida certification to be a police practitioner, or be currently enrolled in a Florida Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission certification school for law enforcement officer certification.
- A completed application package consisting of:
- General Information
- Personal Inquiry Waiver (notarized)
- Certification of Understanding (notarized)
- Veteran's Preference Questionnaire, and
- Drug Policy Statement
4. Take an online Post Officer Selection Test
5. Oral interview by a panel of Commanders and the Chief of Police.
6. A urinalysis drug screening test pursuant to Florida State Statute 943
7. A Psychological Stress Evaluation (P.S.E.) examination of applicant information.
8. A psychological test conducted by Dr. Vincent Skotko of Tampa, Florida.
9. A physical examination by a medical doctor selected by the city.
10. Probation: a. 90 days for evaluation of field training, b. 1 year probation with an
evaluation for retention as a merit position police officer upon completion of a background
The Leesburg Police Department encourages all qualified applicants to submit applications to the Human Resources department at City Hall. The City of Leesburg provides excellent benefits including:
- Starting Salary - 41,901 annually
- Insurance - eligible upon completion of 90 days of employment. Major Medical/Hospital
- Prescription Card
- Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Additional Insurance Plans for Family Members
- Sworn personnel participate in the FSS 185 statutory pension plan. Additionally, there is an optional ICMA 457 plan available for personal investment.
- Paid PTO (184 hours per year)
- PTO Buy Back Program
- Floating Holiday
- Funeral Leave
- Jury Duty Pay
- Military Duty Pay
- Computer Purchase Plan
- Wellness/Fitness Plan
- Take-home Cars
For More Information, contact Lt. Joe Iozzi at (352) 728-9786 ext 3880