How do I file a small claims case (up to $5000)?
Small Claims Court is sometimes referred to as the Peoples Court, where the parties to the suit often represent themselves. This Court provides for the adjudication of small debt matters. Filing Fees are as follows - These fees are payable in cash, cashiers check, business check, money order or attorney's check.
- Claims between $100.00 to $500.00, the filing fee is $80.00
- Claims between $501.00 to $2500.00, the filing fee is $175.00
- Claims between $2501.00 to $5000.00, the filing fee is $300.00
- In addition to the above fees, there is a $10.00 per summons issuing fee, then a $20.00 per defendant delivery service fee payable to the Lake County Sheriff Dept.
- Forms are available at Lake County Court House 3rd Floor, 550 W. Main St., Tavares FL, 32778
- Mailing address: Neil Kelly, Clerk of Court, P.O. Box 7800, Tavares FL, 32778
When you file, you must bring with you at least two copies of any documents on which your claim is based. Examples include, cancelled checks, invoices, contracts, or estimates. If you are suing more than one person, bring one extra set of copies for each person being sued. You must supply the correct name and address of the parties you wish to sue. If a company, you must find out if this company is individually owned, a partnership or a corporation. For corporate information you may check with the Secretary of State at (850) 488-9000. For company information you may check with the occupational license division in the city or county where the business is located. It is important to sue the proper party or entity as a judgment against a fictitious name could be un-collectible.
If you need further assistance call (352) 742-4145, Civil Division.